POSITIONS & EMPLOYMENT
1989-1991 Lecturer, Department of Psychology, University of the Witwatersrand
1990-2003 Private practice in Johannesburg
2004-2010 Principal Psychologist, Valkenberg Hospital/Senior Lecturer, Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, University of Cape Town.
- Principal Psychologist, Groote Schuur Hospital/Senior Lecturer, Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, University of Cape Town (Joint appointment to the University and the State Health System)
- Management of psychological services at Groote Schuur Hospital
- Clinical supervision of psychology interns and registrars
- Consultation-Liaison Psychology, Oncology and Chronic Pain
OTHER PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Researcher/Project evaluator South African Committee on Higher Education (1981-1984)
- Clinical supervisor: Family and Marital Society of SA private practitioners (FAMSA) (1990-1993)
- Co-convenor and clinical supervisor, Counselling Service, Alexandra Health Centre, Johannesburg (1989-1994)
- Trainer/clinical supervisor, Martindale Counselling Centre, Johannesburg (1989-1992)
- Psychology Consultant: Dominican School for the Deaf, Cape Town (1997-1999)
- Psychology Consultant: Burns Unit, Red Cross Children’s’ Hospital (2000-2009)
- Part-time lecturer, University of the Western Cape, Department of Psychology (Clinical Psychology Masters students) 2000-2002
- External examiner for Masters in Clinical Psychology; Previously University of Cape Town, currently University of the Western Cape, Stellenbosch University
- Part-time lecturer, Stellenbosch University 2015-17.
PEER REVIEW PUBLICATIONS
- Bantjes, J., Nel, A., Louw, K., Frenkel, L., Benjamin, E., & Lewis, I. ‘This place is making me more depressed’: The organization of care for suicide attempters in a South African hospital: Journal of Health Psychology, 2016, 1-13.
- Frenkel, L., Swartz, L., & Bantjes, J. Chronic Traumatic Stress and Chronic Pain in the majority world: Notes towards an integrative approach. Critical Public Health. Online: http://www.tandfonline.com/action/journalInformation?journalCode=ccph20
- Frenkel, L., & Swartz, L. (2017). Chronic Pain as a Human Rights issue. (under review).
- “My life has not been good from childhood up ‘till now”: The challenge of chronic pain for health care in low resourced countries. Submitted to Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings. Frenkel, L.
- Frenkel, L (2002) “You get used to it”; working with trauma in a Burns Unit of a South African Children’s Hospital. Psychodynamic Practice, 8, 483-503.
- Frenkel, L (2004) “I smiled at her and she smiled back at me”; between repair and re-enactment in a South African Paediatric Burns Unit. In Levy, S & Lemma, A (Eds). The Perversion of Loss; Contemporary Psychoanalytic Perspectives on Trauma. London: Whurr Publishers. Frenkel, L (2008). A Support Group for Parents of Burned Children in a South African Childrens’ Hospital Burns Unit. Burns, 34, 565-9.